We have an open position for a PhD student in machine learning/bioinformatics with a focus on the analysis of high-throughput single-cell transcriptomics/epigenomics data and developing new analytical and scalable computational tools thereof. The candidate should have a background in math and computer sciences. No medical or genomics background is required, just inclination to acquire such knowledge is a must.
The group is led by Dr Marcin Tabaka (PI) and leverages high-throughput single-cell RNA and ATAC sequencing to address fundamental questions in biomedical research (https://tabaka-lab.org).
Scientific discipline: Machine learning, bioinformatics, computational biology
Job type (employment contract/stipend): Employment contract
Number of job offers: 1
Remuneration/stipend amount/month: 6,600 PLN gross/month (4,700 net/month)
Position starts on: To be arranged with a candidate/ ASAP
Maximum period of contract: 31 December 2023
Institution: International Centre for Translational Eye Research (Institute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences)
Project leader: Prof. Maciej Wojtkowski
Group leader: Dr Marcin Tabaka
Project title: International Centre for Translational Eye Research
The Project/Centre is funded within the International Research Agendas Programme of the Foundation for Polish Science. It is a collaboration between Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS and University College London, UK.
Project description: The International Centre for Translational Eye Research (ICTER) is a multi-investigator centre for eye research related to imaging, biochemical and genomics techniques to support advances in understanding the etiology and treatment of human blinding diseases. Further information on the research priorities and current expertise of our Centre can be found at http://www.icter.pl.
More information on the research agenda: https://www.icter.pl
Key responsibilities include:
- Participation in research projects and attendance at team meetings to share results
- Design and execute data analysis strategies of high-throughput single-cell genomics data
- Develop and deploy new methods for high-dimensional data analysis and visualization
- Collaborate with bioinformaticians and experimentalists
- Design and lead independent projects
- Prepare and write scientific papers
- Active participation in conferences and grant applications
- Supervision over students
Profile of candidates/requirements:
- M.Sc. degree in Math, Statistics, Physics, Computer Science or related quantitative discipline
- Background in statistics, machine and/or deep learning
- Knowledge of at least one modern programming language.
- Experience with python and/or R is a plus
- Familiarity with Unix command-line tools
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and interact effectively in an interdisciplinary team
- Proficiency in English, both spoken and written
- Good communication skills
- Involvement in student and professional organizations, participation in conferences is a plus.
Key evaluation criteria: 1. Familiarity with statistics, machine and/or deep learning
- Knowledge of at least one modern programming language
- Experience with Python and/or R
- Familiarity with Unix command-line tools
Competences of the candidate with respect to specific tasks in a research project
Previous educational/scientific achievements
Awards and distinctions
- CV (including list of projects)
- Cover letter
- Copy of MSc diploma or equivalent
- Opinion about the candidate (1 reference)
- Full-time employment contract
- Opportunity to work in an innovative scientific environment
- International cooperation with experienced researchers
- International training at world-leading research institutes
- Competitive salary
- Access to well-staffed core facilities
Please submit the required documents to: email@example.com
Kindly specify in the application topic: Recruitment no. MCBO 61/2022
Application deadline: 22 July 2022
Successful candidates fulfilling the main eligibility criteria and qualifications will be invited for an interview. Competition results shall be announced no earlier than 15.08.2022.
The International Centre for Translational Eye Research (Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS) is committed to employment equality (esp. European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers) and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates fulfilling the requirements specified in this announcement.
For more details about the position please visit (website/webpage address): www.icter.pl, https://scg-lab.com or contact Marcin Tabaka (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Euraxess job/stipend offer (in case of Ph.D., postdoc, leader and young leader positions): PhD student in Bioinformatics | EURAXESS (europa.eu)
The controller of your personal data is the International Centre for Translational Eye Research with its registered office in Warsaw, NIP: 1080023333 (the “ICTER”). ICTER will process your data for the purpose of carrying out scientific and research activities, providing services and contact with ICTER, on the basis of a contract (in connection with the performance of the contract or in order to take action on your request before the contract is concluded – Article 6, paragraph 1, letter b) of GDPR), the legitimate interest of ICTER (Article 6, paragraph 1, letter f) of the GDPR) and legal provisions (Article 6, paragraph 1, letter c) of the GDPR) – depending on the circumstances.
You have the right to: request access to your data, receive a copy of it; rectify (correct) it; delete it; limit its processing; transfer it; lodge a complaint to the supervisory body; withdraw your consent for processing at any time (withdrawal of consent does not affect the lawfulness of the processing carried out prior to its withdrawal) or to lodge an objection to data processing. More information is available on the Institute’s website.
Link to Euraxess: PhD student in Bioinformatics | EURAXESS (europa.eu).