- ORGANISATION/COMPANY Institute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences
- RESEARCH FIELD Engineering, Physics › Optics
- RESEARCHER PROFILE Recognised Researcher (R2)
- APPLICATION DEADLINE 31/08/2022 12:00 – Europe/Brussels
- LOCATION Poland › Warsaw
- TYPE OF CONTRACT Temporary
- JOB STATUS Full-time
- HOURS PER WEEK 40
- OFFER STARTING DATE 15/09/2022
- REFERENCE NUMBER Recruitment No 21 /2022
- EURAXESS link: Recruitment no. 21/2022 – Post – doc position | EURAXESS (europa.eu)
We encourage applicants for Post – doc position in the Physical Optics and Biophotonics Group (POB) at Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS, Warsaw, Poland. The position is a part of the DAINA 2 „Objętościowa rekonstrukcja obrazowa z filtracją nadmiarowej informacji fazowej” project nr 2020/38/L/ST2/00556
The aim of this project is to introduce and experimentally verify the authors’ original description of physical processes related to the influence of light with partial spatial coherence on image reconstruction in the presence of optical heterogeneity. The proposed research works will allow for better understanding of physical and technical limitations for the case of imaging with partially spatially coherent light in systems with phase-sensitive (interferometric or holographic) detection.
In this fundamental research program, we would like to solve one of the most basic problems of optics, which is in-vivo microscopic imaging in biological samples. The objective of this project is to broaden our knowledge about the image formation process in the presence of highly scattering media.
The leading hypothesis in this project is the assumption that it is possible to introduce spatial modulation of the phase of spatially coherent light in a controlled way so as to achieve noninvasive three dimensional imaging reconstruction with quality of cross-sectional images comparable to that obtained by microscopy with spatially incoherent light.
We are looking for a person with at least 4 years of experience in optical laboratory lab environment (e.g. proper handling of bulk and fiber optical components), especially in creating and designing complex optical imaging setups. Successful candidate will also produce and maintain prototype software for control of peripheral equipment, data acquisition and data processing.
- Construction, rearranging and examination of optical setups;
- Measurement data analysis
- Maintenance of software developed for measuring stands and prototype instruments
- Automation of iterative computational adaptive optics,
- Preparing of training datasets and develop neural networks for computational aberration correction,
- Combining and applying computational aberration correction with dynamic light modulation,
- Presenting progress on conferences, internal group meetings, and seminars.
- Data analysis, writing reports and scientific publications
- Cooperation with researchers, including communication with English-speaking colleagues
- a full contract (supported by NCN DAINA 2 „Objętościowa rekonstrukcja obrazowa z filtracją nadmiarowej informacji fazowej” grant nr 2020/38/L/ST2/00556 with prolongation option depending on project regulations and funds);
- competitive salary (up to 11 000 PLN/month gross, depending on experience);
- opportunity to work in interdisciplinary research department with strong support from chemistry and physics groups within the Institute;
- collaboration with industrial and research partners.
Career development benefits:
– The successful candidate will be part of a highly experienced, multi-disciplinary team. He/She will have the possibility to broaden his/her knowledge and confront themselves with new tasks resulting in new technical solutions and applications. See also: http://pob-lab.com;
– Institute provides opportunity to participate in ERASMUS + programme.
PhD in physics/engineering, specialized in optics
Complete application should include the following documents:
• Curriculum vitae;
• Motivation letter;
• Scan or photocopy of the candidate’s PhD diploma;
• Description of achievements with an emphasis on projects, tasks dealt with, publications (if applicable) etc. related to the required substantial qualifications;
• Application deadline is on 31 August 2022, 12:00
• The incomplete applications will be not considered
• Successful candidates fulfilling the main eligibility criteria will be invited for an interview. The interview will be carried out between 5th – 7th September 2022 in IPC PAS or online.
The position will be awarded in accordance with the Employment policy of the Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS; Candidates may become acquainted with the employment policy at the IPC PAS on: https://ichf.edu.pl/files/csr/ipc-procedures.pdfThe Institute is also committed to employment equality (esp. European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers) and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates fulfilling the requirements specified in this announcement.
• One candidate will be chosen.
• The results of the competition are made public.
• The results of the recruitment will be announced not later than 15th September 2022..
• If the top candidate does not sign the contract, due to the resignation, we reserve the right to choose the next candidate from the ranking list.
• Candidates who have been issued a negative opinion by the Competition Committee or candidates not selected for employment have the right to appeal against the results of the evaluation. The appeal shall be lodged with the Director of the Institute within 7 days from the date of receipt of the appropriate information. The decision of the Director of the Institute shall be final.
• Expected start date of working in-situ is 15th September 2022.
• Apply via email: email@example.com; IMPORTANT: email title “Rekrutacja nr 21/2022”.
By submitting the application you consent to the processing of your personal data in the recruitment process.
The controller of your personal data is the Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences with its registered office in Warsaw, NIP: 5250008755 (the “Institute”). The Institute will process your data for the purpose of carrying out scientific and research activities, providing services and contact with the Institute, on the basis of a contract (in connection with the performance of the contract or in order to take action on your request before the contract is concluded – Article 6, paragraph 1, letter b) of GDPR), the legitimate interest of the Institute (Article 6, paragraph 1, letter f) of the GDPR) and legal provisions (Article 6, paragraph 1, letter c) of the GDPR) – depending on the circumstances.
You have the right to: request access to your data, receive a copy of it; rectify (correct) it; delete it; limit its processing; transfer it; lodge a complaint to the supervisory body; withdraw your consent for processing at any time (withdrawal of consent does not affect the lawfulness of the processing carried out prior to its withdrawal) or to lodge an objection to data processing. More information is available on the Institute’s website.
Required Research Experiences
- RESEARCH FIELD Engineering
- YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE 4 – 10
- REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVEL Physics: PhD or equivalent; Engineering: PhD or equivalent
- REQUIRED LANGUAGES ENGLISH: Good
We are looking for a 1st person (co-investigator) who will be responsible for the most of theoretical work, computer simulations, programming of data acquisition and final data processing. She/he will also actively take part in conducting experiments, writing publications, patents etc. Coinvestigator is supposed to “generate” 40% of all results required to solve all three scientific tasks.
Development of dynamic spatial coherence theory, optimization of phase masks, creating algorithms, writing software for data acquisition and data processing, constructing initial optical set-up for experimental verification of the model.
We are looking for a 2nd co-investigator who will be responsible for the most of experimental optical actions, construction of experimental instruments and performing all required optimization. She/he will lead in conducting experiments as well as writing publications, patents etc. Tasks: Construction of optical STOC-FD-FF-OCT set-ups, design and construction of systems using alternative spatial light modulators (multimode fibers), development of high speed imaging instruments using spatial phase modulators, development of multimodal instrumentation using STOC and standard microscope, conducting experiments and performing data analysis, preparation of phantoms.
- PhD degree in physics/engineering (optics, automatics, informatics, electronics) obtained not earlier than 7 years before starting working for the project.
- Computer programming advanced skills (Python, Matlab, C++),
- Prior experience of implementing and using deep learning algorithms with TensorFlow, Keras API or any other equivalent library
- Creativity and enthusiasm measured by the quality and number of projects, study record, internships
- authorship in peer-reviewed publications and patents in which the Candidate participated and contributed.
- Analytical thinking and critical problem solving skills
- Excellent communication, organization and time management skills
- Experimental experience in optical physics
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Flexibility and ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural research team
- Direct experience with optical imaging is an asset
- experience in customization and commercialization of optical setups
- experience in medical application of devices based on optical solutions