The IDoc Laboratory seeks a Mechatronics Engineer with intensive experience in a) mechanical and optomechanical component design for rapid prototyping; b) motion control with motors, encoders, sensors and controllers; c) mechanical simulations; all preferably in applications controlling advanced optical or medical imaging systems. In addition, practical skills in microcontroller programming and electronics are a plus.
The Mechatronics Engineer will have a direct impact on lab development and its success by: developing the optomechanical design and 3D printing a light-weight and compact microscope-integrated intraoperative optical coherence tomography system; designing, simulating and experimentally testing novel versatile optical scanners using low-cost components; and studying and controlling robotic kinematics and aiding the implementation of force-control laws. The Mechatronics Engineer will work closely with researchers in Biophotonics and Machine Vision at both PhD and Postdoc level and will help the collaboration with leading ophthalmologists and optometrists. He/she will contribute to the Lab Intellectual Property portfolio and to publishing in high impact factor science and technology journals.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing the optomechanical design and 3D printing of a light-weight and compact microscope-integrated intraoperative optical coherence tomography system,
- Designing, simulating and experimentally testing novel versatile optical scanners using low-cost components,
- Studying and controlling surgical robotic arm kinematics and aiding the implementation of force-control laws from sensory and imagery data,
- Cooperation in the optical and optomechanical intraocular probe system design,
- Presenting research activities and results in reports, presentations, research publications, and to other team, laboratory, centre or institute members, visitors, peers and potential sponsors,
- Contributing to Intellectual Property portfolio, by aiding the patent drafting,
- Managing day-to-day activities, such as software and licence procurement,
- Assisting other group members as directed,
- Performing other duties as directed.
Key assesment criteria:
- Documented professional experience fitting the profile requirements
- Level of seniority and independence shown in previous work experience
- Presented opinions via reference letters (if deemed necessary)
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover/motivation letter
- List of the projects where the candidate was the lead engineer/researcher (it should contain a brief description with major project aims, challenges and outcomes, or other deliverable)
- Name and email of 2 referees
- Scanned copy of the candidate’s degree certificate
- Full-time employment contract
- Opportunity to work in an innovative scientific environment
- International cooperation with experienced researchers
- Competitive salary
- Access to well-staffed core facilities
How to apply:
Please submit the required documents to: Icter_jobs@ichf.edu.pl
Kindly specify in the application topic: Recruitment no. MCBO 47/2020
Application deadline: 17th December 2021
For more details about the position please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Profile of candidates/requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical or mechatronics engineering with minimum 1 years of experience in biomedical or optical system development
- Solid background knowledge and documented hands-on experience in the following:
- Solidworks or similar 3D CAD design program
- 3D printing (sla, pla, laser sintering)
- Experience with DC, stepper, servo, piezo motors
- Microcontroller programming (e.g., Arduino, ESP32)
- Experience in any of the following will be a plus:
- Robot, sensors and encoders
- Mechanical simulation software (Ansys, Abaqus or similar)
- Optical coherence tomography systems
- CNC mills or lasers
- Very good written and oral communication skills in English
- High motivation for bench-to-bedside translational projects, analytical skills, and independent thinking.
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team, collaborative attitude
- Good project management and good organization skills.
- A proactive approach to problem solving, achieving tasks and objectives in a timely manner.
Successful candidates fulfilling the main eligibility criteria and qualifications will be invited for an interview (which will most likely take place in an online format on 20-22.12.2021). Competition results shall be announced before 24.12.2021. The International Centre for Translational Eye Research (Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS) is committed to employment equality (esp. European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers) and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates fulfilling the requirements specified in this announcement.