|The IDoc Laboratory seeks an Engineer holding a MSc degree in physics or other related field with experience in constructing and developing of optical imaging systems, biomedical applications of optical methods. In addition, skills in data processing and analysis using LabView and/or MATLAB are desirable.
The Photonics Engineer will have a direct impact on lab development and its success by designing, building and operating an OCT system for anterior part of the eye. The successful candidate will also be responsible for designing and testing OCT-compatible eye surgical tools, and aiding the construction and operation of a novel surgical ophthalmic microscope-integrated OCT system.
Key responsibilities include:
- Working as a photonics engineer at the International Centre for Translational Eye Research, under the supervision of Dr Curatolo or other senior reserchers
- Contributing to research and development of the projects, througout designing, construction and miniaturisation of innovative ophthalmic devices,
- Working on assembling, aligning, testing and operating an OCT systems for anterior part of the eye.
- Commercialisation of opto-medical devices
- Acquire experimental results in a laboratory or preclinical/clinical settings
- Analyse collected data (eg. Labview, Matlab),
- Collaborating closely with other team members, and liaising with the software developer/digital signal processing engineer
- Managing day-to-day activities, such as ordering and maintaining a laboratory equipment
- Assisting in the supervision of master’s and undergraduate students
- Participating in ICTER group activities such as other research projects undertaken within the lab as appropriate and as agreed,
- Presenting research activities and results in reports, presentations, research publications, and to other team, laboratory, centre or institute members, visitors, peers and potential sponsors
- Writing operational manuals, system specifications and patents.
- Comply with reporting and research progress management protocols from both IDoc and ICTER
Profile of candidates/requirements:
- Holds a Master’s degree in engineering, physics, or related fields;
- Solid background knowledge and documented hands-on experience (3+ years) in:
- Experimental physics
- Constructing and developing of optical systems
- Research planning
- Medical application of devices based on optical methods
- Experience in clinical/ preclinical studies or research involving human subjects
- Research involving eye studies
- And at least one of the following:
- Optical coherence tomography
- Confocal/non-linear microscopy
- Very good written and oral communication skills in English
- High motivation for complex biomedical imaging projects, analytical skills, and independent thinking
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team, collaborative attitude
- A proactive approach to problem solving, achieving tasks and objectives in a timely manner
Key assessment criteria:
• Documented professional experience fitting the profile requirements
• Level of seniority and independence shown in previous work experience
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover/motivation letter
- List of the projects where the candidate played an important role (it should contain a brief description with major project aims, the clear candidate’s contribution, challenges and outcomes, or other deliverable)
- Scanned copy of candidate’s MSc diploma.
- Full-time employment contract
- Opportunity to work in an innovative scientific environment
- International cooperation with experienced researchers
- Very attractive salary (depending on experience)
- Access to well-staffed core facilities
How to apply:
Please submit the required documents to: Icter_jobs@ichf.edu.pl
Kindly specify in the application topic: Recruitment no. MCBO 73/2022
Application deadline: December 5, 2022
For more details about the position please contact: Andrea Curatolo (acuratolo@acuratoloichf-edu-pl)
Successful candidates fulfilling the main eligibility criteria and qualifications will be invited for an interview (which will most likely take place in early December 2022). Competition results shall be announced by first half of December 2022.
The International Centre for Translational Eye Research (Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS) is committed to employment equality (esp. European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers) and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates fulfilling the requirements specified in this announcement.